This course could be the follow-up to Logical Communication — a course that emphasizes logical flow, organization of ideas. The emphasis for this course, by comparison, is insight: those fleeting, intuitive leaps and connections all of us make at some point — magic glimpses of understanding, and also wisdom.
Within our lives that are daily we seldom capture our insights, seldom record them or explore them. Yet they generate for splendid essays. Students in this course, accordingly, are trained, first, to notice and record their observations that are own insights; second, to explore them in the shape of essays.
The situation because of the academic approach
In schools, the essay is generally presented to students as a peculiar artifact for the classroom, unrelated into the world that is outside. Students started to understand the essay as a distressing but necessary academic chore, one properly conducted in a rigid and tedious form, such as the five-paragraph essay.
Consistent with this method, students are usually asked to write essays before they have actually read any.
Everything about this approach does students a real disservice. Truth be told, essays play a vital role in the real world: they are the principal forum for sharing insights or discoveries and for hashing out controversies. In nearly all field of human endeavor — science, economics, history, law, foreign policy, you name it — the leaders or pioneers in the field invariably move to the essay once the medium of choice for discussing new developments out in the frontiers of discovery. So atlanta divorce attorneys field, probably the most discussions that are important debates take place in the shape of essays.
In addition, traditional writing instruction leaves students ill-prepared for writing challenges they’re going to soon face — e.g., college-admissions essays, scholarship-application essays — which bear little resemblance to your essay that is five-paragraph. Students in this program, by comparison, emerge not only with relevant training for writing such essays; they emerge with a toolkit for producing these with great efficiency.
Knowing the form
It is no accident that this program is named Essay Writing & Appreciation: our students read a few of the finest essays ever written. In this program, moreover, the essays have now been selected because of their astonishing insights.
Comprehending the essay form and what it could achieve is vital into the purpose of the course: equipping students to state their own thoughts and insights on paper. In this way, the program prepares our students to take part in the real world of essays — discussions conducted by leaders in whatever fields our students may pursue.
Students in this program undertake many different class activities and homework. In addition to reading and analyzing essays by great writers, our students:
- maintain a notebook of observations & insights;
- routinely sketch out essay >The activities in this program may also be made to reinforce skills studied in Logical Communication — skills like:
- Crafting openings that are effective
- clear thinking;
- Producing flow that is logical
- clarity and precision of expression;
- economy of expression;
- enhancing impact.
The fee for this course https://essay-911.com that is two-semester $ 1340.
($670 per semester).
What exactly is included
This program comprises:
- thirty 90-minute sessions and thirty 1-hour sessions, for a total of 75 hours of live instruction, including activities and discussion;
- command of language — the ability to put thoughts into clear English, with rich vocabulary, correct usage, and correct punctuation;
- knowledge, perceptions, and insights — put differently, they need to have something to say;
- convincing arguments — the capacity to present a case that is sound with clear points sustained by sol >Our writing instruction, accordingly, is centered on the following principles:
- To produce writing that is clear students must first have clear thoughts.
- To create in a particular form — like the essay — they must first understand and appreciate that form, in other words., they must explore models.
- Students must be built with an abundant arsenal of tools not just for writing, however for thinking — for working with thoughts and >For all those reasons, we teach writing in stages, with all the first stage being Logical Communication — a course by which our students become adept at working with ideas, identifying sound arguments, and perceiving flow that is logical. Also, our students read and come to appreciate great essays, and then they start to write essays themselves.
Writing the most difficult subjects to teach — and partly because it is not just one skill that is complex but instead a host of skills, various different and intertwined. It’s also a process — and like all processes that are complex it is susceptible to inefficient, i.e., time-wasting, approaches.
To write effectively, students will need to have: